Friday, November 8, 2013

My Food Map

Yes, this is going to be exactly what it sounds like. Whenever I go away for a long period of time, I like to plan what restaurants I'll be visiting and what meals I'll be eating AS SOON AS I GET BACK STATESIDE. Literally - I mean, on the way home from the airport.

Behold the route I shall follow while I enjoy America's favorite pastime: over-indulgence.

Oh, yeah - this is happening.



Overwhelmed? Let me take you through the list:

Phase One: Settling Back In

  • On the drive home from the airport, we'll hit up a Dunkin' Donuts. I plan to gorge myself on donuts and bagels, because apparently 10 months in Bolivia hasn't been enough carbs.
  • Head home to Dad's house where he will slave over spaghetti and lasagna and I will eat my body weight in parmesan cheese.

Phase Two: Local Favorites

  • The Round Tuit is a must-have stop on my epic food journey. Dale will be surreptitiously pessimistic and the food will be amazing. Win-win. 
  • Two words: Panera Bread. 
  • Sticking around Kingston for some of Uncle Russ' famous home-cooking. Maybe he'll get me a cheesecake like he did for my farewell party (hint). 

Phase Three: The China Buffet, Part 1

  • We now venture to Golden Ginza, the hibachi restaurant on the Rondout  in Kingston, where I will be wowed by onion volcanoes and extremely fast chopping. 
  • Shoot up to Mass. for a visit to the Luau Hale Restaurant in Lenox. Scorpion bowls for starters and maybe some bowling on the way back (gotta work off those calories somehow!) 

Phase Four: Old-School Dining

  • Also on the ride home: the Friendly's in West Springfield, MA. I'm going to get an ice cream with a face on it, because - why not?
  • Like all good minions of the Queen, I fully intend on spending some time at a British pub (or at least a fairly-good replica of one): Limey's Pub in Canaan for some pints and classic shepherd's pie...or a bangers 'n mash...or...

Phase Five: The China Buffet, Part 2

  • After a brief rest from the chinese/japanese restaurants, it's back to my hometown for some China Inn dumplings and fried rice. Of course, the Golden Wok in Millerton will have to complement, because we all know their chicken and broccoli is way better than China Inn's. 

Phase Six: South of the Border

  • While we're in Millerton we should probably stop by Salsa Fresca and get some mexican food. It would be rude not to say hi...

Phase Seven: Salute to Rocky and the Fresh Prince

  • At some point in December, my sister and I plan to head down to Philadelphia (my old stomping ground). If anyone lets me leave the City of Brotherly Love without inhaling at least two cheesesteaks from Jim's on South Street, feel free to start making trouble in my neighborhood. 
  • Final stop: Fado Irish Pub on Locust. Refer to the section on Limey's for my menu contemplations. 

Well, folks, that about does it. Feeling hungry yet? You know where I'll be...

No comments:

Post a Comment